Seismic/Non-Seismic design

On 2 Sep 1997, Ghassem Khosrownia wrote:
>      Besides being fun to design and detail, is it worth (economically) to
>      incorporate in seismic zone 2, 3, or even 4? Anyone has any
>      experiences to share on single story industrial type application?

We did some investigations for a typical commerical structure.
(2-1/2 stories, length about 100 m and width about 40 m).  Our
finding was that for this structure, highest seismic zone
provisions will increase the structural cost by only about 7-8%
compared to non-seismic design.  However, as you can imagine,
the analysis and design cost (that you incur) will be significantly
higher for seismic design.  I do not expect the single storey
industrial building to show significantly different figures.

By the way, for highest seismic zone, about 40% of the members
had to be designed for load combination including seismic, while
for the remaining, the dead + live load continued to be critical.

I will also be interested in knowing of other people's experience
on this issue.

Ravi Sinha

Ravi Sinha, Ph.D.		email: rsinha(--nospam--at)gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in
Assistant Professor		       rsinha(--nospam--at)civil.iitb.ernet.in
Department of Civil Engineering	       Phone: (91-22)-578-2545 Ext. 7336
IIT, Powai, Bombay - 400 076, India    Fax: (91-22)-578-3480, 578-3557