Re: Sliding factor of safety for retaining walls

Bill:

I would use method 2 based on reasoning that your resisting forces are
the combined passive pressure and the footing's frictional forces.
Sometime I even neglect the passive pressure at the footing toe because
of backfill condition.  For example, if you have a line of 3 frames in
the building resisting say 100 kips. wouldn't your F.S. = sum of the
capacities of the 3 frames / 100kips.  I don't think you can subtract 1
frames from 100 kips and use the other 2 frames to calculate the F.S.

Tom Chiu, SE
Thomas Engineering