Re: Push-over analysis

Some of the commercially available programs I have used include ABAQUS,
ANSYS, NASTRAN, and ADINA.  I liked ABAQUS for the powerful nonlinear
analysis features.  These programs are a leap ahead of some of the
commonly available structural analysis programs used in the Civil-
Structural engineering.

None of these programs are easy to use.  One needs a thorough
understanding of the concepts of nonlinear finite element analysis and
the modeling issues that go along with it.  Each of these programs have
a licensing fee of approximately $5,000 to $10,000 a year.  ADINA may be
the cheapest of these programs. It is also a CALTRANS accepted computer
program.

DRAIN-2DX atleast have the advantage that it can adequately model many
buildings or bridges.  The program can also perform the analysis at a
fraction of the cost compared with the major Finite Element programs.

Satinder P. Singh
S. P. Singh Engineers
436 - 14th Street, Suite 1029
Oakland CA 94612