Re: Sliding factor of safety for retaining walls

Based on my textbook "Foundation Analysis and Design" by Joseph Bowles,
Second Edition, page 380, FS sliding=sum resisting forces/sum driving forces.
This is what  I use.  Also, if I combine friction and passive resistance, I
reduce the friction force by 1/3 based on what I've read from soils report on
some of my projects.

Ernie Natividad