Re: Contractors Reputation

Dennis-
The first thing I would recommend is to stop writing letters to everyone one.  I
know it is your nature and it will be tough to do, but these long letters are
really of  little benefit.  When I am tempted to write letters like yours, I
write them and then put them in my lower drawer for 24 hours before mailing.
I've got a stack of unmailed letters in there.

Second, when an error in your drawings is pointed out, do not in any way get
defensive.  Thank the Contractor (or whoever pointed it out), and quickly make
any revisions to the plans or details as necessary.  When you complete your
observations, give the contractor a correction list and leave it at that.  If he
asks "how" he is going to fix certain items, let him offer a solution first, and
you just review and approve, and or revise his proposals as necessary.

Third, when do do construction administration/observation, only do it on a time
and material basis.  We usually give the Client a range of where our fees will
be, and let the client know that it just depends on the quality of work of the
contractor.  If an item comes up that may take your  fee beyond the range you
identified, clear it up with the Client before you do the additional work.

I would definitely have the "designer" write a letter to the Owner, giving him
the opinion that you should be paid for more of your fees.  Show ALL time on
your invoice, and clearly indicate time that you are not charging for.  I would
not charge for  the time resolving the issue about the column base detail.  If
he does not pay at this point, just drop it and get on with life and try not to
get in this situation again.

Good Luck.

Lynn