Re: EBF's

> Paul McEntee wrote:

According to information presented at an AISC workshop, A36 doesn't exist
ANYWHERE anymore.  All the mills that produce structural shapes produce
"dual-certified" steel with Fy > 50 ksi.

If you ask for A36 steel, you will get the same steel that you would have
gotten if you had asked for A572 Gr50 steel, you just won't get the
paperwork to show that the steel meets Fy >50 ksi.

> The debate in our office now is whether or not we should just spec Grade 50
> steel for all beams and columns, since A36 doesn't really exist in our
> area, its all dual cert, as Henry points out.

In May 1997, AISC has issued a supplement to ASTM A572Gr50 with
additional requirements.  These additional requirements address such items
as minimum and maximum Fy and the maximm yield-to-tensile strength ratio.

see AISC's web page   www.aiscweb.com

Ed.S.
Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1022                          E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu