Re: WOOD - Engineered Lumber vs. Sawn Lumber

I second that emotion. However, with the high allowable bending and shear

values, it can be easy to "undersize" for deflections.  I've had a couple

headers installed that I'm assuming were not properly weather protected
on site.
The call back for "excessive" deflection was more than unnerving,
especially when
the calcs showed otherwise.  My inkling is that these poorly protected
LVLs (and/or
PSLs) sucked in too much moisture during the NW spring rains and softened
the
material causing the much greater than calculated deflections.  And I
completely avoid
using these glued up elements where exposure to moisture is a concern.
So, in the right
application ...
LVL's are an engineer's best friend in situations like these,

My 1½ cents worth.

Mark Codispoti