Re: COMP - AISC Autocad Files

From: Bill Allen, S.E. <BAllenSE(--nospam--at)pacbell.net>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Sunday, September 07, 1997 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: COMP - AISC Autocad Files

>F8 key doesn't work at bootup. But the real question is, why would I want
>to do any of this? I've waited a long time to get DOS small in my rear view
>mirror.
>
>Regards,
>Bill

Bill, it sounds like you have been extremely lucky to have avoided a General
Protection Fault error that was persistent or an equally feared Exception
error. Sometimes these errors (especially those that relate to corrupted
swap files) will not let Windows start, but will go through the boot cycle
and as soon as you think you can start working within Windows will yield
that same dreaded error.
I, admittly, play with a lot of software and am constantly tweaking my
system out. I just had a problem that kept me in the GPF loop no matter what
I did. I had to boot to the Windows Menu in order to boot to Safe mode
rather than protected mode. The same error came up, but I was able to
stabilize the operating system long enough for me to change the location of
the swap file - essentially destroying the corrupted file and creating a new
one.
I can think of many reasons to know you have access to DOS. I guess these
are safety issues that we need to know to protect us from potential down
time.

Dennis