Re: WOOD - Engineered Lumber vs. Sawn Lumber

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

> Why, too, are Glu-Lam beams not made in conventional widths - ie, 3.5, 5.5.
> It would be a lot easier to get a beam in a wall that was 5 1/2" rather than
> 5.125?

Dennis,

I was told recently by a framer (he only does panelized roof framing)
that he can purchase 3 1/2" wide glb's. He stated that the
manufacturer's actually make these beams 3 1/2" wide and mill them down
to 3 1/8". I didn't check his story out but maybe someone else on the
list can verify or dispute this.

Mark D. Baker
Baker Engineering