Re: WOOD - Engineered Lumber vs. Sawn Lumber

We are in the process of designing a multi-story apartment building using
TJI floor joists and parallams for just about everything else except the
2x6 studs in the walls.  The detailing is a bit easier using parallam
headers and beams because their depths match the depths of the TJIs and the
strengths are just high enough that they work in a lot of places where a
glu-lam wouldn't.  The ceiling attaches to the bottom of the TJIs, which
wouldn't work with a glu-lam hanging below the joists.

Paul McEntee