Re: Re: WOOD - Engineered Lumber vs. Sawn Lumber

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
One reason not to mix sawn lumber sizes with engineered wood sizes is to
avoid differential shrinkage of sawn lumber vs. dry engineered wood produ
cts.  Since the latter are already at or near the end use moisture condit
ions when manufactured, they could wind up overloaded if end members (rim
 boards) are regular sawn lumber which can shrink from as manufactured
to in-service depths. Likewise, if joists or blocking of both types are
mixed in a floor or roof, high or low spots can be created if the sawn
lumber dries and shrinks to lesser depth than the engineered wood compone
nt.  To avoid such problems, most producers "force" the specifier into
using engineered wood for all framing components, to avoid callbacks to
repair uneven floors, roofs, buckled webs on I-joists, floor squeaks, etc

You make a good point, each condition must be evaluated for its appropriate
use.  But I don't think you can make a blanket statement not to mix engr.
lumber with sawn lumber.  There are instances when drying shrinkage may not
make a difference.  Specifically I would use them for heavily loaded beams,
like the garage door header.  Depending on how it is detailed, the
differential in shrinkage would not make any difference to the building
construction.  If the wall studs shrink, the beam drops with them.  If one
were to mix TJI' floor joists with sawn lumber floor joists, then I could see
problems develop.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org