RE: COMP - Goodbye DOS

Mark:

I have more than 200 engineering applications that were written for DOS,
and nearly 50 that were written for Windows 3.X.  With only one
exception, they all run just fine under Windows 95, and most also run
under Windows NT.  The sole exception is STAAD3, but it never ran very
well in it's intended environment either.

To run a DOS program in Windows 95, simply set it up with a shortcut,
then right click on the shortcut and carefully set the properties.
Generally use the defaults, except select "full-screen", "close on
exit", and under advanced, select "prevent MS-DOS programs from
detecting Windows".  If you want more specific instructions, just drop
me a note.  If there are several inquiries, I'll post a complete set of
instructions to the Listserv.

I agree that Windows 95 is not entirely stable, but it is much better
than any of it's predecessors.  If you are getting more than one or two
crashes per month, you need to scandisk, defrag, and look seriously for
hardware and software (DLL) conflicts.  If this is not acceptable, then
step up to it's big brother, Windows NT 4.0.  You can make Windows NT
crash, but you really have to work to do it!

Best Regards,

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

********