Re: COMP - Goodbye DOS

> NT has sounded good for a long time.  Just don't want to upgrade what I have or
> invest in yet another PC.  At least not until the end of my typical 3-year cycle
> (4 in twelve years and I just recently cast off my old 8086).

NT is OK for windows apps, but programs like ETABS actually run
slower under NT than under 95. Unless your app is specifically
compiled for NT it has to emulate the environment the program runs
in. This emulation slows the process down. ETABS runs on my
Pro 200 were actually 50% slower under NT than under 95. Never
compared 95 versus DOS though. SAP200 also ran proportionately slower.

Also, instead of buying 2 or 3 pro 200's, you can just dual, or even
triple boot your single machine under DOS, 95 and NT. The switching
equipment is cheap, but unless your already have 3 machines the total
solution is a little pricy.

I also had to access the hardware lock across our network. Anyone
ever get a hardware lock to be recognized under NT?  Thanks!

Adam R. Koczarski P.E., S.E. - monARK Systems
ark(--nospam--at)monark.com
ark(--nospam--at)skilling.com
'91 ST1100 STOC #265
Home page - http://www.monark.com
"I was provided with additional input that was radically
different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that
version."  -Oliver North