RE: WE-Electrode Strength

Ron Hamburger Wrote:
	The engineer should make the basic decision as to the strength
of
	weld filler metal to be used....

	The engineer should not specify the process (SMAW, FCAW, GMAW,
SAW,
	etc) used.  This is the responsibility of the
fabricator/erector.
	E70 material can be obtained with any of the above processes.

Ron,

This is where I am confused.  I don't want to constrain the fabricator,
but
need to be assured that if I have assumed a material in my design that
that
is what's used by the fabricator.  For grade 345W steel, regardless
of process, both E70 and E80 material is allowed by the welding code.
So, do I specify on my weld symbol that E?? (whatever I assumed during
design) material is required?  This seems logical to me, but I have
rarely
seen it done (on bridge plans), so I thought that maybe there was
something
else going on.

Basically, what is the standard method of specifying the filler metal
strength
when the fabricator has options in the welding code (symbol, note, spec,
dumb luck ...)?

Thanks for you comments,
Chris