travel: Re

Hi Mel,

In general, your modem shall work in Europe.
However, from country to country the
phone jack configuration may vary, e.g. in Germany,
in the hotel room or at your friends home you'll most
probably find a DIN socket outlet which is different
from the US standard (if I remember correctly, the
abbreviation for it is RJ45). In Germany you will need
an adapter, which you can buy in big department
stores as well as specialized shops for
telecommunication/electronics.

In other European countries you may find out that
they are using the US standard, or ... have their
own standard, or ... have the standard of another
European country. Here is valid the Murphy's law:
the probability that you'll encounter problems with
the phone jack configuration is directly proportional
to the GDP of that country ...

Finally, if I were you, I wouldn't wary too much. I would
take my notebook and a good pocket dictionary ...

Peter Rangelow
Frankfurt, Germany

PS. I think you can drop your question to some
of the many news groups dealing with
modems/telecommunication.