RE: WE-Electrode Strength

Chris,

Just as the strength of bolts in comparison to the strength of wood or
metal has no bearing on the design of a bolted connection, neither
does the strength of weld metal have a bearing on the strength of a
welded connection as long as the weld metal and base metal are
compatible.  If you design a connection for E60 electrodes, i.e. 60
ksi strength weld metal, the length of your fillet welds will be
determined by the weld metal strength.  If you design a connection for
E70 electrodes, the length of your fillet welds will be shorter than
those required for E60 electrodes.  Unless there is an extraordinary
reason to do otherwise, I design welded connections based on E60
electrodes and specify in the *Structural Notes* that E60XX or E70XX
electrodes (for stick welding) are to be used.  Since the XX in each
designation has to do with the make-up of the electrode, whether AC or
DC power is used, weld position, etc., I don't specify that.  Process
designations on the weld symbol are the responsibility of the
fabricator and should appear only on the shop drawings or indicated in
the Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS).  Similarly, the joint for
complete joint penetration welds should not be shown on the weld
symbol, but "CJP" shown in the tail of the symbol.  The fabricator
knows (or should know) what is the most economical joint for him to
prepare for a CJP weld.

There was a very recent article in one of the steel magazines, Welding
Journal, Welding Quarterly, Modern Steel Construction, or Engineering
Journal concerning using weld metal strength lower than that of the
base metal.  If someone has that publication at hand, please post the
reference as I can't lay my hands on it at the present time.  (I have
a very efficient filing system --- everything is in one pile so I know
where it is. :-)  )

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona