RE: WE-Electrode Strength

Thanks again to all who have replied to my post.

I apologize for not having stated my earlier questions
better.

I am specifically interested in the case of fillet welds.
I know that for CJP or full pen welds that the prequalified
weld, whether the electrode used is 60, 70, 80 ksi, ... will
result in an adequate connection - the specific electrode
used is the fabricators decision.  It is also obvious that
for a fillet weld that the weld length will vary depending
on the designers assumption of filler metal used.

***Here's my question***

So, for a fillet weld where multiple filler metal strengths are
allowed, say 60 and 70 ksi, how do others size their welds.
Do you size your welds using 60 ksi knowing that you'll be
conservative (As Roger Turk indicated)? Do you use 70 ksi
and then on your weld symbol specify the specific, or minimum
strength to be used?

***Here's my commentary***

The reason I am beating this issue to death is that I
am performing an independent check of a detail which
will not work assuming the minimum allowed electrode
strength (60 ksi).  There is also no way to increase the
weld length.  This is the first case I've run into where
the conservative assumption (60 ksi) can't work.  This made
me start thinking (always dangerous) that my typical conservative
electrode assumption may not be how most others perform
their designs.  I asked around and got a variety of answers - "I've
always used 70 ksi, isn't that standard", or "Uhmmmm ...".

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but it appears that as basic
as this issue may seem that there is a fundamental misunderstanding
of it by many engineers (many very competent - weld design
notwithstanding).  I'm not refering here to those who have responded
to my post!.  My references do nothing to help.  The design
examples I've looked through state an electrode strength assumption
then proceed without explaining why that particular electrode was used
or is appropriate.

All responses encouraged,
Chris Serroels