Bolted Wood Connections

>Just as the strength of bolts in comparison to the strength of wood or
>metal has no bearing on the design of a bolted connection, neither
>does the strength of weld metal...
>
>A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
>Tucson, Arizona

Roger,

I hope I didn't misunderstand your post.  I believe the strength of bolts
has a very direct bearing upon the strength of "bolted wood connections".
The 1991 NDS (adopted by UBC) requires the investigation of multiple failure
modes in bolted wood connections (reference Appendix I in NDS for
discussion).  Failure modes III and IV are governed by fastener yield, not
bearing failure of wood!

Respectfully,

Joe McCormick