RE: Subject: Re: Seismic/Non-Seismic design

>From: "Sprague, Harold O." <SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com>
>To: "'seaoc '" <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
>Subject: RE: Subject: Re: Seismic/Non-Seismic design
>
>Stewart,
>
>I chair the Nonbuilding Structures Technical Subcommittee of the BSSC.
>What references do you have regarding serviceability requirements for
>process plants and piers and wharfs?  You will see a marked expansion of
>this section in the NEHRP and the IBC in the years to come.
>
>our input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Harold Sprague
>BSSC TS13 Chair
>Black & Veatch

Harold:

The ASCE Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering, Ports
Committee (Chair- Stuart D. Werner) is preparing a document "Seismic
Guidelines for Ports" with extensive coverage of seismic design issues
for non-building structures related to facilities typically found at
ports ( i.e., piers, wharves, breakwaters, embankments, buildings,
etc.).  This document ha been presented to the ASCE Ports & Harbor
Committee for formal peer review and the ASCE-TCLEE committee is now
making some final touches.  This major doucument will be presented in
multiple sessions at the Ports '98 Conference, March 1998, Long Beach
CA.

I think the west coast ports have taken the lead in advancing seismic
serviceability for non-building structures.  The development of the
two-level seismic design criteria, which by the way has been around for
a number of years, is in direct response to this issue.  With port
related non-building structures, life-safety issues are of lesser
concern and attention can be directed to economic issues.  Hazardous
materials (i.e., chemical processes, petroleum, etc.) are another
matter, however.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Warren Stewart, SE