RE: WE-Electrode Strength

Chris Serroels,

If 60 ksi electrodes will not work, but 70 ksi electrodes will work,
then by all means specify 70 ksi.  In order to avoid confusion by the
welders, in this case, I would specify only one strength, 70 ksi, in
the "Structural Notes" so that a welder would not have to consider
which electrode he/she would use for a particular connection.

I am assuming that the weld size cannot be increased in your detail.

There are many ways to "increase" fillet weld lengths.  One common way
is to slot the end of the plate, however, you have to evaluate the
force on the net section at the slot.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona