RE: WOOD - Engineered Lumber vs. Sawn Lumber

On Wednesday, September 10, 1997 6:54 AM, Bill Allen, S.E.
[SMTP:BAllenSE(--nospam--at)pacbell.net] wrote:
| Is there a special designation for the PSLs with camber? The
| last time I
| tried to specify this, the contractor told me that cambering
| was not
| possible.
|
| I believe one should be careful about specifying a camber=1.5
| *DL
| deflection. While this is appropriate (and required by Code)
| for roof
| members, it will leave a crown (theoretically equal to 0.5 *
DL
| deflection)
| on floor members.
|
| Regards,
| Bill Allen

Bill, the residential contractors are not aware of this, unless
they do commercial projects. In fact, the same contractor that I
had trouble with was the general for the project that I used a
cambered Parallam. The yard told him that it was not available
either until they checked with TJM.
You must specify a Commercial grade Parallam. Your TJM
representative or a call to TJM 800-628-3997 will verify this. I
was told that there is not special designation other than to
specify commercial grade beam. They also recommended that the
roof camber for the manufactured beam be specified as 1.5DL as
is specified in conventional lumber.
I agree somewhat with your concerns for floor camber, but do not
sufficient background to confirm. Camber in wood is intended to
flatten out over the life of the member based upon an LDF of
1.0.  Generally this relates to a ten year load duration cycle
for a camber to work it's way flat.

Dennis