Re: advertising for job openings

From: Dave Evans <DEVANS(--nospam--at)tnhanc.alaska.net>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Thursday, September 11, 1997 2:17 PM
Subject: advertising for job openings

>Regarding advertising for job openings:
>
>1.  Is there a  consensus regarding whether it is appropropriate to
>advertise for structural engineering job openings on this listserver?
>
>2.  Can anyone recommend, based on personal experience,
>any web sites for posting structural engineering job openings?  For
>example, ENR has an apparently decent job page.  Any others?
>
>3.  Are newsgroups worth trying?  Any personal success stories out
>there?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave Evans, P.E.

Dave,
The purpose of this List is to serve the engineering community. I feel that
it is more than appropriate to advertise job availability on the list. You
are not selling a product, but offering someone a living. Conversly, I feel
that it is equally appropriate to list your availability to work, however, I
don't think the list should be cluttered with long resume's. A simple
statement with qualification should be sufficient.
Unlike selling products and services, we are here to help each other along.
We have informed the group of available consulting work as it comes along
and this too seems appropriate.

I don't know of any other newsgroup or list that offers as much access to
structural engineers (civil/structural) as this group. Give it a shop and I
hope you find some good help from it. At least you will know that those who
respond are well informed.

Dennis Wish PE