Re: WE-Electrode Strength

Serroels, Chris/SAC wrote:

> ***Here's my question***
>
> So, for a fillet weld where multiple filler metal strengths are
> allowed, say 60 and 70 ksi, how do others size their welds.
> Do you size your welds using 60 ksi knowing that you'll be
> conservative (As Roger Turk indicated)? Do you use 70 ksi
> and then on your weld symbol specify the specific, or minimum
> strength to be used?

For US jobs, I have always designed based on an electrode strength of 70 ksi.  The
weld strength is always specified in the steel fabrication specification and sometimes
written as a design note on the drawing.  We never specify 70 ksi in the weld symbol if
70 ksi electrodes are being for all welds.

Mark Ahlskog, PE