Re: BORPELS and residential room additions

>There was a complaint ( but no failure type problem ) and BORPELS asked
>one of their technical consultants, who also does litigation work, to
>comment.
Sounds to me like the real question is threefold:

1. Would the additional testing or inspection prevented the problem?
(BTW, what was the problem? Sounds like some foundation problem)

2. Was there anything about the job or the site that should have led the
engineer to recommend such testing?

3. What is the standard of care in such jobs? Seems like some sort of
site visit (at least a walk-through) of the work is helpful, judging from
some of the comments on the matter, but if it's not usually done or there
was no indication of a problem, then it seems like the engineer acted
reasonably.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw