Re: BORPELS and residential room additions

From: Jim Dane <jimdane(--nospam--at)ix.netcom.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Friday, September 12, 1997 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: BORPELS and residential room additions

>I have been quiet lately because of an excess work load but this item
>got my attention.............

I could not have said it better (or longer - well maybe longer) myself.

I have a disclaimer on the back of my contract that asks for a soils report
to be issued for every project. It further states that if the soils report
is not issued, my design will be based upon minimum UBC soil bearing
pressures.
If this work was done in an area like Simi Valley which requires
post-tensioned slabs on many of it's residential designs and the engineer
was unaware of this, why did the Building Official not bring it to his
attention and require a report prior to issuing permit.
This does sound too contrived and appears to have much more to it.

Dennis Wish PE