Re: advertising for job openings

From: Dan Vines <dvines(--nospam--at)mindspring.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Thursday, September 11, 1997 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: advertising for job openings

>This message got me wondering.  Is the job market for structurals as good
>in the rest of the country as good as it is in the southeast (Atlanta)?
>My firm, along with every other firm I deal with (this also includes
>architects, mechanicals, and civils) is scrambling to find people.  The
>work load is tremendous and there is no end in sight.
>
>I was just wondering if everyone else has it as good ($$$$) or as bad
>(LONG hours) as we do.
>
>Dan Vines, EIT
>
>Dave Evans wrote:
>
>> Regarding advertising for job openings:
>>
>> 1.  Is there a  consensus regarding whether it is appropropriate to
>> advertise for structural engineering job openings on this listserver?
>>
>> 2.  Can anyone recommend, based on personal experience,
>> any web sites for posting structural engineering job openings?  For
>> example, ENR has an apparently decent job page.  Any others?
>>
>> 3.  Are newsgroups worth trying?  Any personal success stories out
>> there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave Evans, P.E.

I've just completed 6 months of seven day work weeks - 12 to 14 hours per
day. It feels good to be free for a while, but our industry can be like a
roller coaster. When you are buried in the work you can't wait for a
vacation. When the work is completed, you worry if it will ever come again.
I've been in private practice for eleven years and have always made ends
meet. I should have learned by now not to worry, but I guess I'm just
insecure.
I largest part of the problem is that cash flows have not been consistant
with the work load. It takes almost as much time to collect as it does to do
the work. This is frustrating. The promise of work and the actual contracts
have come through, but more of my clients are not living to the letter of
the contract for payment schedules.

Dennis Wish PE