Re: Wind speeds in Mexico

     Neil,

     Wind loads in Mexico can be a little tricky.  The design wind speed
     you would get would probably not fit into the UBC or ASCE formulas.

     They have a Federal code (Reglamento de Construcciones para el
     Distrito Federal, RCDF) but it technically only applies to the
     government area in and around Mexico City (similar to Washington,
     District of Columbia).

     For areas outside of Mexico City your best choice is the CFE code
     (Comision Federal de Electricidad) which is an industrial code that
     covers all of Mexico.

     The terrain and topography factors (and other factors too) are not the
     same as our codes.  The CFE actually has three separate wind maps
     based on different return periods.  I believe this is their way of
     incorporating an importance factor.  Their wind maps are also based on
     a 3 second gust similar to ASCE 7-95.

     Hopefully someone on the list from Mexico can give you more details.

     Thomas Hunt
     Fluor Daniel - Irvine