Re: BORPELS and residential room additions-the more to it

HARRISENGR(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> << This does sound too contrived and appears to have much more to it. >>
>
> This is definitely not contrived and is scheduled for hearing in Nov..  The
> civil engineer in question feels this is so rediculus he does not mind others
> knowing but i feel i should still keep his name confidential , i would ask
> others that may know of him to do the same and not mention names . Borpels
> has an attorney representing them. This has been a 4 year process to this
> stage by BORPELS.
>       The more to it is there was a lawsuit when the contractor quit in
> 1987and the contractor was found liable ( but not the engineer ) . The owner
> tried to get revenge by using BORPELS and has been successful as the civil
> engineer has spent over $100,000 on legal fees and his own experts. The civil
> engineer already has letters from four local engineers who do residential
> work as well as two local building officials testifying to the quality of the
> work. One structural engineer,  who the civil engineer recently hired, even
> completely recalculated the job for verification. ( the borpels expert SE
> never performed any independant calcs but instead wrote a report  on why the
> calcs were wrong for things like not reducing nail values 20% since the civil
> engineer should have known ( 1987 ) they would use box nails instead of
> commons in the field  therefore he is negligent and incompetent).
>
>      Tom Harris , SE
>      Thousand Oaks, CA

This whole thread is making me SICK.  This guy did not do anything wrong
and he needs help.  Tom can't plead the case more than he has as he is a
reviewer in the case.  The Defendant should plead his own case on this
list or in the SEA newsletter.  How can anyone hold BORPELS accountable
for their overly aggressive action unless the details are shared.  Is
there anything that can be done or will we just read about it in BORPELS
newsletter.
norm
--
Norman Brudigam C.E.

Bay Engineers Inc.	Specializing in the Evaluation
(510) 284-3300x20	and Repair of Existing Structures
FAX   284-3365
Primary Email: norm(--nospam--at)bayengineers.com
Secondary Email:  nbrudigam(--nospam--at)aol.com