Re: BORPELS and residential room additions

Hello!

I am a Structural Engineer practicing for a consulting engineering
company in Oklahoma.  This thread is interesting.  On many occassions, I
have found myself in the classical "damned if you do, damned if you
don't" situation. Many clients, particularly the relatively less well to
do ones, expect all encompassing solutions for little money. They expect
engineers like us to know answers to all their questions without doing
any calculations or any testing.  Unfortunately, there exist many poorly
and inadequately  designed structures and, the clients often use such
structures as a testimony to their claim that engineers always
overdesign.

Problems faced by competent, able and well-qualified engineers are
aggravated by the "engineers" at the opposite end of the spectrum, who
would accept anything the client wants.

By the way, what is a BORPEL?

Rajendran