Re: Log Home to be constructed in Seismic Zone 4

EDLStruct(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Does any one know is there any shear force allow in the 11" diam. log
> wall.
>   Besides, there are windows about the middle of the wall.   There is
> no
> dowels between the logs.   How to hold the log wall down at the ends
> for the
> uplift?
>
> Do you know any publications which give the answers to the above
> questions?

Ed,
    I have done the calcs on quite a few log homes in Zone 3. These were
constructed of logs of 7" to 9" diameter and have a 5/8" diameter bolt
carried from the anchor bolts in the foundation to the top course of
logs with coupling nuts where needed. The nut on the top course of logs
is tightened to provide some measure of compression thereby providing
some sliding friction in addition to the shear capacity of the bolts
themselves. Also, the logs that I have worked with have a 4" wide flat
planed onto the top and bottom to provide a good bearing surface.

    I know that these have also been built in Zone 4 (I know one went
into Santa Rosa, but I didn't do the lateral for it).

 Ken Reed, PE
Redding, CA