Re: Registration --> Licensure in TX

On 14 Sep 1997 01:41:22 GMT  Richard Lewis wrote:
>seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
>By act of the legislature in the biennial session just passed, here in
>Texas we are no longer "Registered" as professional engineers, but
>"Licensed."
>
>Comments?

This is a national trend, sponsored by the National Society of Professional Engineers, on the basis that
the word "registered" implies that one merely has to notify the state that one is working as an engineer.
On the other hand, they believe the word "licensed" implies the grant of a license to practice from the
state.  In other words, practicing as a professional engineer requires a process of review and approval
before one may do so.  NSPE believes the change will help improve the perceived status of the profession.

Nigel Mends
President
Montana Society of Engineers