Inspection of pile foundations supporting harbor bulkheads

Does anyone have any experience with the inspection of timber piles used in a
foundation to support harbor bulkheads.  I have a need to perform such an
inspection to determine if the pilings are still structurally sound.  The only
method which I know of is brute force.  This would involve shoring and digging
up the foundation to perform a visual.  Sounds very expensive.  So if anyone
has any words of advice or recommendations of firms whom deal with this topic
please let me know.

Thanks
Kirk