Re: Registration --> Licensure in TX

While California may have a reputation for being "progressive", evidence
exists to the contrary. A couple of examples is the Senate Bill (or
Assembly Bill) authored by Cardenas which doesn't appear to protect the
professionals nor the alledged action by BORPELS against an engineer cited
here last week.

I do not expect the CA legislature nor BORPELS to do an about face nor do I
expect the Structural Engineers Association of California to become more
pro-active in protecting us. Maybe the only solution I have is to move to
Texas. I have my TX app. sitting right here. All I have to do is that
little take home test on the regulations.

Wow! Working in a state where only qualified people can practice legally!
Install a gun rack and not worry about drive bys. A REAL FOOTBALL TEAM!

Stan, can you get me season tickets to the 'Boys?

Regards,
Bill Allen
----------
> From: Caldwell, Stan <scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com>
> To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
> Subject: RE: Registration --> Licensure in TX
> Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 3:31 PM
>
> Bill:
>
> As you know, Texas is a progressive state where the legislature meets
> for only four months, every other year.  As we continue to replace
> Southern Democrats with Republicans, Texas might eventually become a
> state where the legislature meets for only two months, every four years.
>  This is called "cost containment", or the "right-sizing" of our
> government.  Since everything is so big in Texas, we naturally believe
> that smaller is better, at least when it comes to money.
>
> It is my understanding that Senate Bill 623 was enacted at the request
> of the Texas PE Board, who undoubtedly acted on the advice of NSPE and
> NCEES.  We also expect to have mandatory CPC (Continuing Professional
> Competency) by 2002.  The PE Board needs this in place before it's
> Sunset Review in 2003.  Currently, CPC is voluntary (but encouraged) in
> Texas.
>
> Perhaps California will be next in line for these changes.  Gotta go
> now, Texas still has a pro football team and they play in a couple of
> hours!
>
> Regards,
>
> Stan R. Caldwell, Licensed P.E.
>
> >----------

more
> >> specific terms.
> >>
> >> TEPA now acknowledges (for the first time) the rights of allied design
> >> professionals such as architects, interior designers, and landscape
> >> architects to perform work that is authorized under the definitions of
> >> their respective licensing acts.
> >>
> >> The PE Board now has the authority to waive engineering examinations
by
> >> Board Rule under certain circumstances.  Isn't this a step backwards?
> >>
> >> TEPA now allows the use of common construction job titles that are not
> >> in conjunction with the offer of engineering services.
> >>
> >> The PE Board now has the authority (for the first time) to issue
> >> temporary or provisional licenses.
> >>
> >> Out-of-state licensed engineers are no longer allowed to use their
> >> out-of-state licenses while "temporarily" working on projects in
Texas.