Re: Registration --> Licensure in TX

At 04:01 PM 9/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
>This is an easy one. It's called unfair competition. Moonlighters don't
>have to pay for an office or (usually) E&O insurance. Therefore, they can
>charge less. Besides, don't tell me you conduct all of your moonlighting
>business on your own time. I don't like paying for government in the first
>place, much less paying for someone to underbid me.
>
>Let me know which agency you work for. I'll call your supervisor first
>thing in the morning!!
>
>Regards,
>Bill Allen
>
>----------
>> From: nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net
>> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
>> Subject: RE: Registration --> Licensure in TX
>> Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 2:08 PM
>>

>> On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:13:35 -0500  Caldwell, Stan wrote:
>> >Senate Bill 623 went into effect in Texas on September 1, 1997, bringing
>> >numerous changes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> >All engineering businesses are now required to employ a full-time,
>> >licensed engineer on staff to perform engineering services.  This is
>> >intended to reduce or eliminate moonlighting by government and industry
>> >engineers, hallelujah.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why don't you want those of us who work in gummint
>to be able to "moonlight?"
>>
>> Nigel Mends, PE

Besides, here in California, a couple of engineers apparently were doing
their "outside" work on state time; utilizing the computers and plotters -
ect.  They did received the Golden Fleece award from one of the San
Francisco Newspapers and I believe, no longer are employed by the State.
It wouldn't have been so bad, except they used to brag about how "their"
plotter was so much better than mine.

Of course the client was apparently aware of this and thought he was
getting a good deal.

Neil Moore
S.E.