Braced frame question

I'm curious how others are designing the connections for their chevron
braced frames.  Specifically, with regard to UBC Section 2211.8.3.1, I would
be curious at how other engineers interpret item 3.  I have always designed
these connections for item 2 and another engineer in our office is trying to
convince me that this is too conservative.  His position is that per
2211.8.4.1 the brace itself is only designed for 1.5 times the *seismic*
forces (gravity loads not included), so this is the maximum force that can
be transferred to the system.  Well, how does everyone else read/interpret
the code?

Chris Palmateer