From: Theodore H. Partrick, Jr.
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Inspection of pile foundations supporting harbor bulkheads
Date: Tuesday, September 16, 1997 7:34AM

Kirk,

I recently read of some inspections made on house piles at the beaches
in
North Carolina. The depth of penetration of the piles was determined
using
accelerometers and analysis of shock wave propagation (response to
hammer
applied to the pile). Basically, the response of the pile to the shock
was
a function of its length. Once the length was determined, the depth was
calculated from the exposed height of the pile.According to the report,
FEMA production as I recall, the depth was determined pretty accurately.

Determining depth of embedment is not quite the same as determining if
pile
is sound. However, there should be ways of analysing for soundness using
response in the piles.

Good luck.

Ted