Re: combined seismic load with creep load

Neil -

A couple of things:

1.  My "up or down" comment referred to "uphill and downhill".  We also
ignore vertical seismic accelerations.

2.  In regards to your liquefaction case, we have never designed for the drag
force during the liquefaction process.  Ignoring the added height of the
liquefied material is quite a penalty in the design all by itself.

3.  Similar to your Loma Prieta experience, we have also designed many pile
supported hillside homes and walls for people with too much money, who we
convinced to spend lots of money in the ground, and had no problems in the
Northridge quake.

Bruce