WOOD - Termite Damage Condition Survey

I've been recently tasked to perform a condition survey of an existing
building(sight unseen to date) to verify the possible existence of termite
damage and if such damage exists provide remedial recommendations. My intent
is to look for the usual signs of surface damage but are there methods for
locating subsurface damage(i.e., other than using a hammer to take
"soundings", etc.)?

I also intend to send a sample to a lab to determine grade and species. A
colleague mentioned a mid-west lab which performs this service at no cost but
couldn't recall the name and phone number. Does anyone have this info?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie Canitz, PE
Bel Air, MD