RE: WOOD - Termite Damage Condition Survey

Would you consider Michael Donoghue's comments to be valid for
dry rot as well. I have a condition where the trusses in a
building were rotted through, but the damage was not visible on
the surface and was not known until retrofit work had
progressed.
The owner asked why it was not standard practice for the
engineer to inspect the trusses prior to initiating design and
to advise him of the existing condition (dry rot).
I responded that this is best left to a testing lab and that
since not noticeable signs of rot existed at the time of my walk
thorough, I had no sufficient evidence to warrant recommending
further testing for dry rot.
He accepted my explanation. To clear myself further, there was
noticeable damage to the trusses by way of a broken chord. The
company that was hired to do the repair also did not notice the
rot problem as the surface of the wood was intact. When they
started to remove sheathing, the trusses started to fall apart
and the extent of the rot became evident.
What is the best answer to give a client that is hit with the
added cost to repair and who is obviously upset that he did not
have the choice from the beginning to either tear the building
down or to go ahead with retrofit plans.

Dennis Wish PE