Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: WOOD - Termite Damage Condition Survey

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I agree with Michael.  It's not your job to do this and there are
trained experts out there who will do it for a reasonable price.  I live
in an area where there are a number of historical buildings to
preserve.  The first thing I have the owner do is get a termite and rot
inspection from a qualified contractor specializing in this.  Generally,
it runs $300-$800.  These guys are usually very good and can spot a
number of types of infestation.  They will generally prepare a report
defining all the problem areas, recommend solutions and provide a cost
estimate for doing the work.  You, as the engineer, can then prepare
repair solutions based on recommendations by the owners representative,
this way, you are not responsible if you miss something.

Dennis McCroskey

Michael Donoghue wrote:

> I'd like to put in a word of caution about a structural doing a
> termite
> inspection.  DON'T DO IT.  There are inspectors that are usually
> insured and
> bonded to do that sort of thing.  I've heard of nothing but grief
> comming from
> professionals doing wandering into something like this.  There are, or
> should
> be, limits to servicing the client
> Unless you have an unusual E&O policy, the best plan is to have an
> inspector
> do their best and then you comment on their observations as to
> potential
> structural consequences.
> Michael Donoghue, PE
> ----------
> From:   Richard Lewis
> Sent:   19 September, 1997 9:04 AM
> To:     seaoc(--nospam--at)
> Cc:     seaoc(--nospam--at)
> Subject:        Re: WOOD - Termite Damage Condition Survey
> seaoc(--nospam--at),Internet writes:
> I also intend to send a sample to a lab to determine grade and
> species. A
> colleague mentioned a mid-west lab which performs this service at no
> cost but
> couldn't recall the name and phone number. Does anyone have this info?
> The USDA Forest Service will do up to 5 free samples a year.  The
> address I
> have is:
>         USDA Forest Service
>         Forest Products Laboratory
>         One Gifford Pinchot Drive
>         Madison, WI  53705-2398
>         (608) 231-9221
> I have used them several times.  You send them a sample about 3 inches
> long
> and 1/4 inch thick.  They will send your letter back with the species
> name of
> the wood species written on it.  They do not give you any design
> values for
> the wood, only the species name.
> __________________________________________________
> Richard Lewis, P.E.
> Missionary TECH Team
> rlewis(--nospam--at)
> The service mission like-minded Christian organizations
> may turn to for technical assistance and know-how.