Re: WOOD - Termite Damage Condition Survey

I agree with Michael.  It's not your job to do this and there are
trained experts out there who will do it for a reasonable price.  I live
in an area where there are a number of historical buildings to
preserve.  The first thing I have the owner do is get a termite and rot
inspection from a qualified contractor specializing in this.  Generally,
it runs $300-$800.  These guys are usually very good and can spot a
number of types of infestation.  They will generally prepare a report
defining all the problem areas, recommend solutions and provide a cost
estimate for doing the work.  You, as the engineer, can then prepare
repair solutions based on recommendations by the owners representative,
this way, you are not responsible if you miss something.

Dennis McCroskey
Architect/SE