Re: Canadian Load factors

Raghu wrote:

> I will appreciate if any strucural engineer familiar with the Canadian
> codes will reply.
>
> What are live load and dead load factors allowed in the Canadian loading
> code and
>
> What is the name and reference no.  CSA standard dealing with loads for
> structural designs. Thanks

The National Building Code (NBC) governs some Provinces, while other
provinces have adapted their own code, which is quite similar to the
NBC.  Chapter 4 establishes the load factors using limit states design
procedures.

Dead 1.25  (0.85 for stress reversal)
Live 1.5
Wind 1.5
Earthquake 1.0

YOU must use Canadian codes to establish the load reduction factors on
your materials because they are different than in the US.  Loads are
also different especially wind and earthquake!!!