Re: Oil Leak

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 18:50:06 -0400 (EDT) Rlfong(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 97-09-25 10:49:13 EDT, Bruce Resnick writes:
>
><< <<... my friend just pulled an oil tank out from under a porch
>where
> we're building a bathroom and have discovered a fair bit of leakage.
>The
> contractor's solution is to turn the ground over, spray some
>chemicals to
> take care of the odor and then seal the earth with plastic.  He
>assures me
> we'll never know it was there.    >>
>
>The US EPA and the local regulators (could be a district or county, if
not then the state)require that spills exceeding a certain quantity be
reported to the agency AND within a certain time after discovery; the
fines for not doing so can be pretty large. There are also criminal
penalties in some conditions.  You should be particularly concerned if
the product that was spilled threatens ground or surface water or poses a
health risk to humans or protected animal and plant species. Be advised
that what you consider to be no risk might be viewed differently by an
enforcement agency or a litigious neighbor. You would be wise to contact
your local health/environmental authority for guidance and not rely on
the contractor's advice. These things can be a disaster if mishandled.