Re: Surface Bonded CMU Construction

Dear Joe:

I have the following book that mentions surface bonded construction. It's
not an engineering book, but sort of a backwoods how-to manual.
Nonetheless, it provide some practical information.

For more information, see "UNDERGROUND HOUSES" by Robert L. Roy, published
in 1979 by Sterling Publisging Co, Inc of New York.

Their method was to dry stack everything (no mortor, grout, or rebar) and
smear a mixture of the following bonding agent on both sides:

19.5 lbs Cement, 3.75 lbs lime, 1/4 lb Calcium Stearate, and 1/2 lb Calcium
Chloride.

To this mix they added 1.0 lb of type "E" glass fiber filaments coated with
an organic binder chopped into 1/2" lengths.

They would put this mixture on both sides of the wall with a large plaster
trowel, and when cured this combination with 12" CMU would create a 7'
retaining wall!

If you need any more information just email me directly. I use the "digest"
feature and so if you post another item I won't respond till tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Michael D. Brooks
ENERCALC Engineering Software