Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Error in Phone Book - Structural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Brian Kehoe [SMTP:BEK(--nospam--at)]
Sent:	Monday, September 29, 1997 9:04 AM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)
Subject:	Re: Error in Phone Book - Structural Engineers


Your mistake was using the term Structural Engineering to the 
phone company personnel
during the contact.  How can you expect a lay person to 
understand to subtlety between
someone practicing structural engineering and someone who is a 
licensed Structural
Engineer?  Instead, you should just call yourself a Civil 
Engineer, since that is how you are
licensed.  Using the term structural engineering is, IMHO 
deliberately misleading.

If you don't like being only licensed as a civil engineer, then 
take the test or get BORPELS
to change the rules.

Brian Kehoe

Using your logic, then I am equally misleading the public since 
I am not qualified to design roadways, bridges etc based upon my 
lack of experience in this area. Why not simply erase us from  
 the face of the earth since those that gave us the title can't 
decide which niche we belong.
Please explain to me how the term structural engineering is 
misleading. Please also explain to me why I do not have the 
authority to use the term structural engineering when you and I 
are equally qualified and licensed to design structures  other 
than essential facilities and high-rises.
The public does not need to understand the subtleties between 
structural engineering and Structural Engineer since those that 
would require a SE would already understand the difference. The 
other 99% who could use a qualified CE are the ones that need 
the explanation.
Also, please explain to me what regulations require me to take 
the SE exam in order to design custom homes, commercial 
properties, foundations etc. I never knew that this was a 
requirement attached to my CE license.
I do agree with one thing you said. If you don't want me 
practicing structural engineering get BORPELS to change their 
Sorry to sound so offensive, but life is not all black and white 
- we live in the gray area. If you think that this is a problem 
I would much rather debate your issues against my practicing 
structural engineering using intelligent arguments rather than 
subtleties twisted around to support weak arguments.
Why not try to resolve the problem by working to get BORPELS to 
redefine who is allowed to practice structural engineering. If, 
as the majority of the community feels,  the problem is ridding 
the profession of those not qualified to practice, then the 
simplest solution is to redefine the title without the cost to 
educate the public.
Brian, I doubt that you have an issue with my qualifications to 
design all but essential facilities and high-rise structures. 
Over 40% of the SEA members are CE's who specialize in 
structural engineering. The only misconception is the title, not 
the authority to practice. But, I do agree with you if the issue 
is the CE that crosses the line to practice outside of his 
Dennis Wish PE