Re: Snow load increases at roof valleys

>94 UBC appendix chapter 16, section 1638.3.2 requires an increased snow load
>for gabled roofs at valleys, but only when the basic ground snow load is
>greater than 70 PSF.  Is this the correct interpretation of this provision?
>
>Respectfully,
>Joe McCormick
>
>Joe, Your interpretation is correct,but you need to keep in mind that the
UBC is a general standard that indicates what should be the minimum amount
of care in considering structural loads. I typically consider added valley
loads any time the ground snow is as high as 40 psf as a matter of my
enginerring "judgement", as I believe that our knowledge and understanding
of "mother Nature" is probably not as good as we'd like it to be.
Sincerely, Norb Volny , P.E.