Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Error in Phone Book - Structural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Couple of questions just out of curiosity:

What are the engineers with Civil Engineering degree called if they do
not have P.E? 

If they can still be referred to as Civil Engineers, what should we call
the engineers with M.S. or Ph.D. in Structural Engineering who do not
have S.E.? I understand that BORPELS would not allow them to use the
title Structural Engineer.  These engineers may have spent more than
five years on Structural Engineering courses and research and may have
only taken three semester of courses in Civil Engineering (other than

Satinder P. Singh
S. P. Singh Engineers

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:
> -----Original Message-----
> From:   Brian Kehoe [SMTP:BEK(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:   Monday, September 29, 1997 9:04 AM
> To:     seaoc(--nospam--at)
> Subject:        Re: Error in Phone Book - Structural Engineers
> Dennis,
> Your mistake was using the term Structural Engineering to the
> phone company personnel
> during the contact.  How can you expect a lay person to
> understand to subtlety between
> someone practicing structural engineering and someone who is a
> licensed Structural
> Engineer?  Instead, you should just call yourself a Civil
> Engineer, since that is how you are
> licensed.  Using the term structural engineering is, IMHO
> deliberately misleading.
> If you don't like being only licensed as a civil engineer, then
> take the test or get BORPELS
> to change the rules.
> ------------------->
> Brian Kehoe
> BEK(--nospam--at)WJE.COM
> Using your logic, then I am equally misleading the public since
> I am not qualified to design roadways, bridges etc based upon my
> lack of experience in this area. Why not simply erase us from
>  the face of the earth since those that gave us the title can't
> decide which niche we belong.
> Please explain to me how the term structural engineering is
> misleading. Please also explain to me why I do not have the
> authority to use the term structural engineering when you and I
> are equally qualified and licensed to design structures  other
> than essential facilities and high-rises.
> The public does not need to understand the subtleties between
> structural engineering and Structural Engineer since those that
> would require a SE would already understand the difference. The
> other 99% who could use a qualified CE are the ones that need
> the explanation.
> Also, please explain to me what regulations require me to take
> the SE exam in order to design custom homes, commercial
> properties, foundations etc. I never knew that this was a
> requirement attached to my CE license.
> I do agree with one thing you said. If you don't want me
> practicing structural engineering get BORPELS to change their
> rules.
> Sorry to sound so offensive, but life is not all black and white
> - we live in the gray area. If you think that this is a problem
> I would much rather debate your issues against my practicing
> structural engineering using intelligent arguments rather than
> subtleties twisted around to support weak arguments.
> Why not try to resolve the problem by working to get BORPELS to
> redefine who is allowed to practice structural engineering. If,
> as the majority of the community feels,  the problem is ridding
> the profession of those not qualified to practice, then the
> simplest solution is to redefine the title without the cost to
> educate the public.
> Brian, I doubt that you have an issue with my qualifications to
> design all but essential facilities and high-rise structures.
> Over 40% of the SEA members are CE's who specialize in
> structural engineering. The only misconception is the title, not
> the authority to practice. But, I do agree with you if the issue
> is the CE that crosses the line to practice outside of his
> knowledge.
> Dennis Wish PE