Warping Constant and Torsion Constant for Built-up sections - Reply

Xian,

Hand calculations for warping and tosion constants can be quite
cumbersome. If you wish I can send you a program which I have
written to calculate these properties (and some more).

As for the difference between polar moment of inertia (Ix + Iy)
and torsion constant (J), it just so happens that J = Ix + Iy
for a solid circular section. This equality can not be extended
to any other cross section. You may refer to "Theory of
Elasticity" by Timoshenko and Goodier or better still to
"Applied Elasticity" by Chi-Teh Wang.

Rudra Nevatia
Central Computing Facility