Re: TROPICAL HARDWOODS

Steve -

According to my literature, I have the following Ipe values:

Weight:  66-75 pcf
Bending, air dry:  25,360 psi
Crushing Strength, air dry:  13,010 psi
Modulus of Elasticity:  3,010 ksi
Janka side Hardness, air dry:  3,680 lb.
Resistance to Marine Borers:  high
Resistance to Termites:  high
Durability:  very durable

Sorry, I also do not have any shear strength or phi factor requirements.
 This information was sent to me by a client of mine, Larry Snyder at
Canterbury International in Los Angeles.  Along with other things, they make
excellent outdoor wood benches, etc. using tropical hardwoods.  In fact I
have a lovely puprleheart bench at my house!  Larry is very knowledgable
about the materials and may even be interested in working with you on the
project.  You can reach him at (213)936-7111, and tell him Bruce Resnick
referred you.

Good luck.

Bruce Resnick