Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re - Structural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
     Shafat wrote;

<< "Here is my 2 cents worth.
SE, PE, EIT etc is nothing but BS.
What matters to me is how much education the person has in the field and 
how good he or she is.
Did you know that in most of the foreign countries there is no exam 
requirement to practice as an SE. All you need is a degree in civil 
engineering. Now think of all the buildings in the world designed by 
Structural Engineers who never appeared in SE exam.
IMHO, they should stop issuing licenses. The requirement for practicing 
Structural Engineering should be a Degree from accredited university and 
three years experience. (Just like doctors). BORPELS should stop wasting 
time in preparing exams and rather focus on universities to ensure the 
highest level of education is being provided.
How many of you remember how to calculate forces in a moment frame. Not 
Many I bet. Yet, most of us remember the UBC equation to calculate base 
shear. Which one is real engineering? Now think about that!" >>

My certificate on the wall says that " ... is duly authorized to use the 
Structural Engineer in the State of California, and is entitled to all the 
rights and privileges conferred in said code."

>From a technical standpoint, "Structural Engineer" is not a license or 
registration in California.  It is a title.  (I'm still trying to identify 
rights and privileges were conferred upon me.)

The State has codified the requirements (degree plus experience plus pass 16 

hour exam) to use the title Structural Engineer, and you should probably 
the reality that what he/she does will logically be called Structural 
Engineering.  IMHO, a registered Civil Engineer should not advertise that he 

does Structural Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering, unless he/she has 
the requirements of the title acts.

Fluor Daniel, Irvine