RE: Error in Phone Book - Structural Engineers

Dennis, I did look at your response to Lynn. Admittedly, I did
not see the jest in your comments, but took them as personal
attacks. I believe that Lynn interpreted them the same. I have
known you for probably two years or more and although we don't
see eye to eye on many issues, I have never felt that your
unprofessional, no. Most of us just don't each other well enough
to catch much subtle sarcasm. I do, admittedly, feel strongly
about the CE/SE issue and interpreted your comments to be
personal attacks against me and the two structural engineering
instructors that wrote to this list.

Before responding your some of your comments: I don't feel that
Shafat's solution is necessarily correct unless you can be sure
that education is taught purely from a practical standard rather
than a theoretical one like UCLA, USC or UC Berkeley. The
majorities of what we learn is from apprenticeship and grunt
work in the field. I never took a course that focused on code
interpretation, except possibly a concrete class at Cal State
Northridge. I also don't posses a degree from a university
although I completed all of my structural courses (and 60% of an
architectural curriculum at U of I). But with eight years of
education under my belt, I don't feel any less qualified.
No, I believe testing is appropriate to scale a persons ability
to know the foundations of their work. I don't feel the
emphasize should be on working efficiently since many of us
would rather work at a slow pace to assure that we cover all of
the bases - even if it means earning less per hour.
I do feel that testing for a field in structures should be
isolated from a field in land civil. Applicants should be
willing to declare their field at the time the sit for the exam
and should be given questions only related to that field.
Personally, I don't remember every answering land civil
questions on my PE exam in '86, but focusing only on the
structural questions and afternoon problems.

I guess my long hair doesn't quite hide my red neck or my
conservative
Orange County up bringing but take a look at the definitions of
structural engineers on Lynn's email that I responded to and let
me know
which you think is a better definition.

Red neck is right - especially after a particularly heated
softball game in the desert. I did read Lynn's post (see above)

I thought legal semantics is what was being debated.  Aren't you
arguing
that he board should change their wording or definitions?

No sir, Legal semantics is what created this problem. If
semantics were the issue, you would still be known as a CE.
Someone came along and decided to add a specialty classification
giving added authority to design essential facilities. The
problem with the semantics is that you now feel that this added
authority is all encompassing and. Placing restrictions on the
title does not change the actual practice.
What is needed is a fair practice attitude. The public does not
know that a civil engineer is allowed to practice structural
engineering. They believe that only an SE can do this work. At
one point, Bill Rome - chief inspector in Santa Monica and
licensed CE in California - required an evaluation report to be
done on all URM buildings. This report would be accepted only
from SE's, even though the retrofit design could be done by
Architects and Civil engineers. I believe he did this to
simplify the number of phone calls received from building owners
asking if this architect or that civil was qualified to submit a
report.
Although my license says I am a civil engineer, I don't practice
in the area that the public assumes a Civil to practice -
bridges, roadways, land. Neither does close to 50% of SEAOC
members classified as CE and SE.
Why, then, must a Civil practice with a handicap. I have had
more than two architects refuse to allow me to bid their
engineering because they did not feel I was qualified to design
a wood framed home based upon my license title alone. Sitting in
their office trying to explain that structural engineering is
covered under the CE license only created a degree of mistrust
and made it look as though I was begging for the work. This does
not seem to be fair when our professional organizations are not
willing to help clear this up or educate the public.
By all means, create a clear and concise division between the
semantics of structural engineering and land civil. But do this
not be Symantec alone, but by proof of our ability in area's
other than high-rise or essential construction.
BORPELS suggestion (or maybe it was SEAOC's) is close but does
not help the public understand that they can hire a Civil who is
authorized to practice structural OR a Structural is authorized
to practice structural AND more.

I do apoligize to you, Mr. Singh or anyone else who may have
been
offended.  It was not my intent to do so.

Thank you!

Now, you tell me what is the right terminology.

I would assume that Mr. Singh has a point and should be
classified as Structural Engineer while SE's should be LSE
(Licensed Structural Engineer). This seem most reasonable since
a license is only required to perform a business.

Thanks for asking me to leave for not agreeing with you but, no
thanks.

I am not asking you to leave. I am asking that you not be
insulting to your peers.

Actually Dennis, I was being devils advocate here.  If you were
appear before the board or in court because of this, your
opposition
would ask that question.  Does the board have a special
requirement if
the laws are violated unintentionally?  I don't know?  I don't
really
think you did it on purpose, why would you tell the world if you
did? I
just found it humorous that we had debated this issue some time
back and
now you suddenly find yourself in this dilemma.   I know you
want to
abide by the rules, you just want to tweak them a bit to fit
you.

I do want to tweak them but not to simply fit my agenda. If I
never participate again in this list or in this debate, I will
never have to justify my abilities and will continue to practice
with the authority already granted. I never stepped over that
line and never would since I lack the specific skills to work on
essential facilities and high-rises. As you mentioned, if I am
not up to speed on something, I will work hard to learn it. Many
times I have hired someone with more skill than me so that I can
learn form their skills and provide the same to my clients.
The truth is that our community as most others is apathetic and
tends to complain about the issues without taking action. I
agree with the issues and feel more pent-up frustration holding
back than bringing it onto the table for debate.
As many times as this issue comes up, there have been excellent
conclusions drawn, but never have these been summarized and sent
with the list's support to the appropriate committees or boards.
Maybe it's time to get off our butts and start acting upon our
passions. Therefore, I don't want to tweak for personal gain, I
wish to obtain tweaking for the 50% of our unspoken community.
How do I know they care? This list does not see all of the
private email I get. Somewhere along the way the voices must be
heard.

Dennis, take a look at my response to Lynn's email.  Let me know
if you
still feel the same.  Those were not venomous remarks, you'll
know the
difference if you see them.  I'm only expressing my opinions and
view
point in my way which is often very much to the point with
little
rhetoric.  Quite the opposite of you.  You don't have to agree
with them
but both are valid.

Possibly, but rhetoric is the only way I know how not to be
misunderstood - opposite of you. I do believe in sarcasm, I
don't care for innuendoes and unsupported accusations. A little
more rhetoric may have eliminated your letter explaining your
first post.

Thanks for your response.

Dennis